23 March 2010

Give me face -- NOT!

The concept of giving one face is all about putting oneself in a favourable light. Which means if one has to lie, sugarcoat the truth, omit important details, being wishy-washy, backstab, pretend to know when they don't, or say anything to appease others, then that is what one does.

Other aspects include: not openly criticising or contradicting superiors or authority, making people know what your value is (how lucky you are, how successful you are, how many boys you have), knowing your place, losing your temper (a sign of poor parental guidance), admitting you have done wrong or don't know the answer.

In Hong Kong, I refuse to give people face, because, I want people to look at things for the way that they really are. I don't do bullshit. Yes, that makes me come across as pok gai -- asshole. However, I am not going to lie or deceive myself or others. I strive to be true to myself and my style.

I am not obstinate to cultural differences or anything of that sort, but I am all about interacting with each other without pretense. Giving face is a barrier to transparent -- and honest -- interaction.

No wonder why Chairman Mao tried to get rid of manners and civility. How ironic is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being part of the conversation! Once your comment has been reviewed, it will be posted.