12 February 2010

It's A Hard Day's Night....

...And I'm working like a dog.... (From It's A Hard Day's Night, the Beatles)

So, in this economy, people who still have jobs, are working overtime, taking less vacations, and taking up second or third jobs to make ends meet.

Even with that, Americans lag behind the Japanese as far as hours worked, even though the American workers take second place behind them. But the Japanese get more vacation time than we do, and they make good use of it.

So, why is it that we work hard? Is it because of of the Calvinist work ethic: "Work hard, and you'll see the fruits of your labour"? Economic necessity? Or because we like to stay busy? Or achieve our career and financial goals in life?

For me, when I was in University, I had a full time job, went to school full time, had acting gigs on the side, on top of being in performance and/or rehearsal for local theatre productions.

And now, I work my job at WDW, and help my partner reopen our special effects business, which was destroyed by fire last September. Someone has to work to pay for the food and car insurance. When I was a full-timer, I also paid for health insurance for the two of us. And the past four summers, I did pre-production for the Hong Kong gig on top of working at WDW. Needless to say, I'm burned out. And the bills keep piling up. I tell people, "Take a number. You're not the only people that want money from me." So, where are my rewards for working so hard?

Think about this: the irony is, if you look at the front gate of Auschwitz, there is a ironwork motto that says -- Arbeit macht Frei. Literally translated, Work makes freedom, or With work, comes freedom.

For myself, the conclusion is this: you work like a dog all your life, for various reasons. Your priorities change over time.

The economy will get better. I hopefully will get a better job, or be able to get better performance/directorial/production opportunities, our business will grow and prosper. Regardless of who is governing, where we end up living, and what the priorities are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being part of the conversation! Once your comment has been reviewed, it will be posted.