10 February 2010

Doubt

Just finished watching Doubt. Well done movie about the Catholic Church in the 1960s, where a priest faces allegations of sexual abuse by an overzealous nun, and with an ambiguous resolution. The acting is excellent, though I didn't care much for the Reverend Mother, played too well by Meryl Streep (whom I called various names throughout the movie), as I was not very empathetic or caring about what her character wanted. Hell, I felt more empathy with her character in Devil Wears Prada, then I did in this role. Did I say the acting in this film was excellent?

But it does raise the question: how far does one go to expose wrong and achieve justice?

I received a call from someone I had trained detailing what he had went through on his second day of training. Can't go into details, but it was quite distressing. I am troubled by the abuse of power exercised by a few people, and young people today, by exercising poor judgement all around (including the poor kid). I am compelled to have a discussion with a few people about it, with the question: should I care at this moment? Or should I wait for my employers and his attorney to subpeona my ass to court?

One of the things I have been taught on one of my jobs is to always do the right thing. For the people that work under me, the people I work for, and most importantly, for myself. This is one of those grey areas. I have no clue as to how to proceed.

I don't think I'll be able to sleep well tonight. This is really disturbing. I guess what I'm afraid of is I have to watch how close I get to people. Especially when they need someone to reach out to. This is insane. Hmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being part of the conversation! Once your comment has been reviewed, it will be posted.