06 August 2012

Small Business Owner Rant

A couple days ago I got eBay feedback from some buyer telling me my shipping and handling fees were too expensive.

I feel that they are fair, as unlike other eBay sellers, I don't nickel and dime them or 'rape' them over the coals.  The amounts I charge cover:  Postage, packing materials (though I do recycle, there are things I still have to buy), my time, my gas.

We sell items on razor thin profit margins, not for my benefit, but for the customers.

So as a reminder, small businesses:

--Are not like markets in some third world country, where one can bargain and try to force the seller to sell at a loss, like this Temple Street Market, Hong Kong, Market Outside the Market deal



--Are NOT a charity





--Are NOT banks




--If we do have problems staying in business, there is no government bailout for us





So, there you go.  Part of my response to this person was:  We run a small business, not a charity, and therefore have to make business decisions that aren't going to please everyone.

I mean really, how much did they think it actually costs to ship a 16oz bottle of liquid latex weighing 24 ounces from Florida to where their sorry ass lives in California?  Seriously. 

Hopefully after blocking this buyer from doing business with us again, they'll get the picture that small businesses may deliver a good bargain, we still have to make money to stay in business so that they can become repeat customers. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being part of the conversation! Once your comment has been reviewed, it will be posted.