20 September 2012

Facebook post

Here's something I posted on Facebook today:

Just helped someone register to vote. Remember that we all need to exercise our voice to get the government we want and speaks for the will of the majority.

Here's a conversation that ensued.  It wasn't good or bad, it was voicing frustration at the system as it is, and the importance of holding on to the ideal that voting is important.

Person PLEASE show me a candidate worth voting for instead of the lessor of two evils.
 
Me  Until the state of American politics changes, it will continue to be the lessor of both evils. Until things change, we, regardless of our beliefs, must use our vote and voice, to start a conversation about the direction we, collectively as a nation, want to take.
 
Person Drew, I agree with you to a point, However, I have always felt that to vote for someone is the same as me saying I approve of them. I cannot even begin to say I approve of either candidate.
 
Me For me it was like choosing the iPad or Kindle Fire. I chose the Kindle because, despite certain things, it was the best way to go for the money and I'm a diehard Apple fan. We all have to make value judgements, and that doesn't mean approval or acceptance. It's about what will work.  In my old age, I've learned that it is important to be pragmatic and prudent.

-----
 
So if he wants candidates worth voting, he should consider doing the following:
--Become a candidate himself.  We currently have the left and the far right covered.  We're missing center, center right and center left.  (Americans will never go to the far left on principle.)
--Start another political party.  See above.
--Become an activist and start lobbying politicians and educate the public that change is necessary.
 
Basically, the point is:  
People need to be a part of solving of a problem or effecting change.  Their inaction or apathy makes them part of the problem.   I don't care if they're marching in protests once a week or engaging in laptop activism.  At least they're doing something to make it better.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being part of the conversation! Once your comment has been reviewed, it will be posted.